The city of Edmonton checks for these 7 things when they assess basement and secondary suites:
1. Rooms and spaces must abide by certain size and height guidelines
2. Suite entrances must be built and located according to code
3. Bedroom windows must be built and located according to code
4. Heating and ventilation system must be installed according to code
5. Must satisfy parking requirements
6. Must be in accordance with zoning regulations of your specific neighborhood
7. Must meet fire guidelines that meet the Alberta Fire Code and pass a fire inspection
If these criteria are not met, your suite will be deemed “non-conforming”, your tenants will be evicted immediately and you will be issued a fine. About 90% of the time, the city will allow you to do the necessary construction and renovations to get your property up to code. It is exponentially cheaper and easier to ensure that your suite is legal before this inspection inevitably occurs.
Our Secondary Suite development starts with a walk-through of your property to identify which of these criteria are unmet. We’ll get the permits we need to get make your suite completely legal so that you (and your tenants) can relax knowing you’re fully covered.